Author | Steve
I realize it has been a while since we gave an update on our family. This one is going to be in a different format…just because.
- Ellie turned eight last week. She put on quite a party! She got her ears pierced, but she still needs her two front teeth.
- We all got passports (some of us renewed) because….(drum roll)…Jamie and Gabby are going to Uganda at the end of June to both encourage and be encouraged by some women who are seeking to lead gospel ministry and learn some trade to benefit their families and communities. They are going with “Women of the Pearl”.
- We had the honor and privilege of walking alongside our good friends, Matt & Jen Hein and their children, as they laid to rest Matt’s mother in Rogers City, Michigan and as we moved Jenn’s father out of their long-time family home into senior housing (though he said that he is only a sophomore!). We feel so blessed to have been able to be with them during these emotional days, reminding them of Jesus’ promises and love.
- Steve and Jamie were invited to teach the confirmation families at St. Luke’s in Ann Arbor one evening. We got to invite these families into times of refreshing with Jesus through His Word.
- Austin publicly confirmed his faith in Jesus at the beginning of May. You can read his testimony of faith here.
- We made a quick jaunt down to Indianapolis to visit Jamie’s aunt and uncle, Vicki & Chris. He’s a big-wig at the Indianapolis Children’s Museum, so we got to do some really fun stuff there including seeing and touching a triceratops skull fossil! We thought this section of doll houses was funny since we don’t have a house.
- Steve preached for the first time in six months (at St. Luke’s, Ann Arbor) – on Pentecost. It was a surprisingly emotional day for Jamie and the kids. It was awesome sharing the abundant love of God in the outpouring of His Spirit! Thank you to Justin for the ablazing photography!
- We got to go to the Rossow Family Reunion on Memorial Day weekend at the old Rossow Family Farm north of Lansing. What a blast that was! The way they loved and received us made us a little homesick for our own families. Thanks Rossows.
- Steve and Austin are preparing for a Men’s Warrior Bootcamp in the mountains of southern New Mexico in early July. It is a nine-day camping, spiritual warfare, survival skills bootcamp that is all based in the Father’s deep love for us in Jesus. We are looking forward to this.
- Steve and Jamie have continued to get trained in a Biblical prayer ministry called “Prayer Care.” This has been profoundly healing for us as it continually points us back to Jesus. We are looking forward to sharing it as opportunities arise for us to lead others through these intentional times of prayer.
- We are about to embark on a three-day vacation to Boyne Mountain, Michigan.
As we continue to seek Jesus and listen to Him about our present and our future, we are more and more filled with gratitude for what He has done and continues to do for us! Jamie and I sat down just the other day, after meeting with a good friend on google hangout, and we listed some of the core things we sense God is calling us toward in this next season of life. In no particular order, here they are:
- A place to talk with people about Jesus
- Time to talk with people about Jesus
- A place for gospel ministry and proclamation
- A place for discipleship (apostles’ teaching, fellowship, breaking of bread & prayer) where life transformation happens…for us too
- A gospel ministry where Jamie and I are partners
- My income is mostly/entirely not connected to this gospel ministry
- The freedom to ‘fail’ while stepping out in faith
- A gospel ministry that prioritizes our immediate context and community
- A simpler life that focuses on relationships
Please keep us in your prayers as we continue to seek God about what’s next. Thanks for following our story. Please feel free to share our blog with people you think would benefit from reading about what God is doing in and with us. We have had some great conversations with people about Jesus because of this blog and your sharing.
Finally, I would invite you to pray for the Lord’s mercy on all the people affected by the recent flooding in the center of our country, especially in my home state of Texas. The rain is a blessing after so many years of drought there, but many families are also grieving the loss of loved ones and of entire homes. Lord, have mercy.
Until next time…drop your nets and keep following Jesus!